For the first time since the worldwide event’s inception, retailers across Philadelphia are participating en masse in Fashion’s Night Out, the brainchild of iconic Vogue editor Anna Wintour.
Fashion’s Night Out was created in 2009 to, in the most basic terms, help boost the economy. It has grown into an internationally-celebrated event (now in 250 cities in 18 countries) that includes fashion shows, trunk shows, sales, celebrity appearances, promotions, makeovers and free swag for one glamorous night only.
This year’s takes place on Thursday, September 6, from 6-11 p.m. And Philadelphia was chosen as host city! Joan Shepp will serve as headquarters for the the Accessories Council’s official cocktail party, but shops around the whole city will be participating concurrently.
You can shop, sip and socialize at popular stores up and down chic Walnut Street. If independent retailers are more your bag, fret not, as many of Philly’s super cool boutiques in Old City and elsewhere will also be partaking in this stylish affair.
According to Mayor Michael Nutter, “Philadelphia is now able to show the world we are a city that’s ready to assume its rightful place among the fashion capitals of the world. Whether it’s New York or Paris or London or Milan, we are a city of creative ingenuity and entrepreneurship.” We couldn’t agree more.
Here’s our list of a few choice receptions and events taking place during Philly’s FNO:
• Joan Shepp: A Philly-exclusive! Joan Shepp will partner with The Accessories Council to present the first retail extravaganza for USAMade, an initiative created to promote fashion accessories made in the U.S.A. The event will feature a distinct range of exceptional jewelry ranging in price from $20-$400, as well as music, cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
• SA VA: Sneak a peek at the yet-to-be-released fall 2012 line and get styled by Kristel Closets expert stylist Caroline Kohler.
• Plage Tahiti: Meet local jewelry company Adornia at Knit Wit sister store Plage Tahiti. Founded by two Wharton MBA students, key pieces from the collection will be highlighted from its debut assortment. Stylists will be on-hand to show off RTW fall 2012 lines from some of the top American and European designers and a special trunk show from Halston Heritage will take place. Specialty cocktails will be served.
• Knit Wit and Skai Blue Show: Join two of Philly’s fashion powerhouses — Knit Wit, one of Rittenhouse’s trendiest boutiques, and Skai Blue Show, Philadelphia’s premier full-service fashion and accessories showroom — as they showcase both locally-designed items with a mix of nationally-recognized labels. Walk the red carpet, chill to smooth beats and sip champagne. Enjoy a night of incredible shopping and an exclusive meet and greet with stylists and designers. Shoppers will also be able to purchase the highly coveted Official FNO Merchandise.
• Kembrel: Enjoy an evening of fashion, art and music as Kembrel hosts its fifth Philadelphia Designer Trunk Show: Fashion Night Out Edition. Featured emerging and established designers are Kendra, ROCK’d by Abbe, Pretty Pretty Rebel, bombom jewelry and Duke & Winston. Shop their fall collections and enjoy fine wine, hors d’oeuvres by DiBruno Bros.
• Free People: The new Free People store on Walnut is hosting an Instagram contest for Fashion’s Night out; tweet photos with hashtag #FPFNO on September 6. Five finalists will be picked and a winner will get their favorite look from the September catalog ($500 value!).
• Macy’s: Meet the cast of the ABC Family show, Pretty Little Liars. Attend a styling class with professional stylists. Check out pop-up closets and view a trunk show by Philadelphia Fashion Incubator’s designers. There’s even something for the guys! The Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleaders will be hanging out at the Optimal Sports Health Club. Men can sample the newest grooming products while enjoying sips and snacks in the Smirnoff Lounge.
• Third Street Habit: Lots of good happenings in this one location, like – a groovy trunk show by Mother Denim, marvelous styling and make-up tips by Philly’s top fashion and beauty advisors, fantastic free gifts by Free People and Velvet and refreshing spirits by St. Germain.
• King of Prussia Mall: If you can’t make it into town for FNO, make it a point to get to King of Prussia Mall, where more than 50 KOP retailers will offer trunk shows, makeovers, giveaways and entertainment. There will also be a fabulous fashion show on the lower level of the Nordstrom Court that will showcase the latest fall trends from participating retailers. General admission to the fashion show is free.
Fashion’s Night Out in Philadelphia doubles as a kick-off to The Philadelphia Collection, an annual week-long series of approximately 75 individually-produced fashion-related events that officially begins on September 13. More info here.
Fashion’s Night Out Philadelphia
When: Thursday, September 6, 6-11 p.m.
Where: Various locations throughout city
Cost: Pay as you go
More info: www.fashionsnightout.com